What is obesity?
When the excessive amount of fat accumulates in the normal places in the body, its called obesity. Most susceptible structures where fat accumulates are- abdomen, neck, cheeks, buttocks, thighs and arms.
Defined in terms of BMI as
BMI>25-30 – overweight
Calculate BMI at sidebar of this blog or see How to calculate BMI
How severe is this epidemic?
Obesity is a global public health problem, sparing only dramatically poor regions with chronic food scarcity such as sub-Saharan Africa and Haiti. As of 2005, more than 1.6 billion persons ≥15 yr old are overweight or obese (WHO).In the USA, 30% of adults are obese, and an additional 35% of adults are overweight. In children, the prevalence of obesity increased 300% over approximately 40 years.
What are the Cause of Obesity?
Obesity can be caused by various reasons, ranging from over eating to genetic disease.
1. Non- Medical Obesity- Over-eating, less exercise
2. Medical Causes-
Endocrine disorders-hormonal disorders –
- Cushing Syndrome
- Growth hormone deficiency in children
- Alstrom syndrome
- Bardet-Biedl syndrome
- Biemond syndrome
- Carpenter syndrome
- Cohen syndrome
- Deletion 9q34 Early-onset obesity, mental retardation, brachycephaly, synophrys, prognathism, behavior and sleep disturbances Deletion 9q34
- Down syndrome
- Frohlich syndrome
- Leptin or leptin receptor gene deficiency
- Melanocortin 4 receptor gene mutation
- Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Pro-opiomelanocortin deficiency
- Turner syndrome
- Oral contraceptive pills
What are the Complications?
Read here- Complications of Obesity
How to Deal with Obesity? How to lose weight?
|FEATURE||GREEN LIGHT FOOD||YELLOW LIGHT FOODS||RED LIGHT FOODS|
|Quality||Low-calorie, high-fiber, low-fat, nutrient-dense||Nutrient-dense, but higher in calories and fat||High in calories, sugar, and fat|
|Types of food||Fruits, vegetables||Lean meats, dairy, starches, grains||Fatty meats, sugar, fried foods|
|Quantity||Unlimited||Limited||Infrequent or avoided|
5. It is very difficult to achieve weight loss by increasing physical activity alone. Increasing physical activity can decrease risk for cardiovascular disease, improve well-being, and contribute to weight loss. Weight loss diets may not help alone. So combining both strategies are best option.
6. Cut out TV hours to less than 2 hrs.
7. Spend time outdoors.
8. When all these measures don’t help, Weight loss drugs are helpful but aren’t without many sideeffects. Make sure you don’t take them without prescription of a Doctor. Some drugs used are-
9. When there is morbid obesity, Doctors sometimes resolve to Surgical intervention, ie Bariatic Surgery. It is reserved for complicated cases only.
10. Liposuction and body sculpting. The liposuction surgery as well as the body sculpting procedure are the two of the most frequently performed procedures in aesthetic surgery.