Rhinophyma Or Potato Tumor: An Unsighty tumor of nose :Clinical features and management:
- It is a slow growing tumor due to hypertrophy of sebaceous glands of tip of nose.
- Rhinophyma (an advanced type of rosacea) is characterized by an enlarged, bulbous, and red nose resulting from enlargement of the oil-producing glands beneath the surface of the skin on the nose.
- Often seen in long standing cases of Acne Rosacea. Rosacea is a chronic disease that affects the skin. The disease is characterized by redness, pimples, and, in advanced stages, thickened skin. When rosacea reaches this advanced stage, rhinophyma may develop.
- Bulb-like shape of nose
- Many oil glands, reddish color
- Thickening of the skin
Symptoms and sign:
Presents as pink lobulated mass over the nose with superficial vascular dilation.Mostly affects men past middle age. The condition is more common in men than women.Patients seek advice due to unsightly appearance of the tumor, obstruction in breathing and vision due to large size of the tumor.
Depending on the severity of rhinophyma, doctors may begin treatment with topical or oral rosacea treatment.
- Paring down of the bulk of tumor with sharp knife or carbon dioxide laser and the area is allowed to re-epithelialize.
- Excision and skin grafting.
Prognosis- Rhinophyma can be corrected with surgery, but the condition may recur.
Rhinophyma is a big Cosmetic Issue. So treatment of this tumor is more important cosmetically than medically.
Source: Dhingra’s ENT, Lecture notes, Dermatology encyclopedia.