Entering the Post-graduation courses after MBBS in Nepal has become a tough exit for the Medical Students. Due to limited number of PG ( MD, MS, M. Sc) seats in Clinical Medicine and Basic Science in comparison to rapidly growing MBBS graduates in Nepal, the problem has become imminent now.
Here is the updated 2022.
Common Entrance exam MEC
The Old Exam system for PG entrance in Nepal, which used to be separately conducted by each university, has now been replaced by the Common entrance exam by Medical Education committee. It takes place in January each year and now PG seats in different specialties has increased in number significantly.
Details on the exam can be found at Edusanjal
2. PG in INDIA
Indian PG is one of the TOUGHEST entrance examinations in ASIA. But INDIA has provided foreign seats. Nepalese have to compete for the foreign seat and probability is better this way.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), India Date: May and November
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh,India Date: May and November
- Pakistan: Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi e.g In King Edward Medical University (KEMU) you need to pass Pakistan license exam
- College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP) Date: May and
- Eligibility: 1 year experience after MBBS
4. United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) :
Recently, this has been a choice destination for many. USMLE is being increasingly attempted by MBBS doctors and now PG residents and by PG doctors. Exam- Any time of year except 1st 15 days of January . It is considered the best option as the Degree is respected highly around the globe and with awesome salary becomes the zenith for ambitious students. Details can be found here http://www.usmle.org/ The new USMLE. has removed the Step 2 CS, temporarily until it shall be replaced by another way of assessment. Till then OET will used for application for the residency seats. Interviews are being taken online because of COVID, so cost of taking USMLE has been reduced significantly during this time.
5. Australian Medical Council (AMC), Australia: It is said that Australia is congested and getting into PG is difficult now.Details about http://www.amc.org.au/
6. UK: PLAB 1,2 ,3 and still have to be lucky to get into PG. UK has become a major destination for post graduates and those undergoing fellowship training at various centers in United Kingdom. Brexit caused shortage of doctors, and that opened the door of opportunity for foreign trained doctors to work under esteemed NHS system.
7. Bangladesh: Passing PG from Bangladesh has been known to be very tough. But more students are flocking into Bangladesh as PG seat are becoming virtual in Nepal, India.
8. Republic of the Philippines : Recent trend has been to form a group and fly to Philippines for PG. An easier destination but lower in choice. But recently Kathmandu University has denied to provide any faculty quota for specialists passing from Philippines. Issue is, many PG course are run in private and non-university hospitals with/without Thesis.
9. Denmark: Not well explored area. But have to get language course first.
10. Germany: PG degree from Germany is well-reputed and free as well. Language is required. Here is an experience of a foreign graduate from the University of Frankfurt who discusses all aspects of student’s life in germany including fees, language, living cost, lifestyle and training required.
11. China : A good option for Nepali students. Specially for students who studied MBBS in China as they are adapted to the language and condition. China is rising up as a good destination because it provides good stipend and many doctors passing out from China have made remarkable status in Nepal.
12. Japan : Exam May-June. Japan provides scholarship for PG, PhD 5 years course. Stipends are offered to Nepali students. Exam is taken by the Japanese embassy and is one of the fairest competition.
13. Ukraine/ Other European countries: Ukraine, Kharkiv used to be a popular Medical education destination for Nepal, but now it is bad idea because of wars.
14. Canada – Canadian Medical Licensing Examination.
Sources: Researched article from internet, RPG, PG forum India, KU and TU websites.