Skin has 3 layers : epidermis, dermis and hypodermis. Epidermis the top most layer contains melanocytes which gives brown tint to the skin. Below it is dermis which has fibrous tissue , collagen and elastin. Hypodermis the deepest layer containing connective tissue and fat cells keeps the skin warm and protects it.
Types of Skin:
- Normal: Fine textured , soft and smooth.
- Dry: Tight , flaky and predisposing to facial lines.
- Oily:Greasy skin due sebum production.Looks shiny with enlarged pores leading to blemishes and blackhead.
- Sensitive: Fine ,translucent,suffer from redness and irritation.
- Combination: T-zone is oily and the rest of the skin is dry (cheeks ,eyes ,cheeks )
Daily Regime for a Healthy skin:
1. Cleansing: Helps to remove dirt ,sweat and make up .Must do atleast twice a day or more for oily skin. Use a cream cleanser for a dry skin. Use the best acne scar treatment you can find if you have previous lesions. Apply cleansing for 1min in outward and upward in circulation motion.Soaps also can be used by everyone.Must see that they are not harsh.
2. Toning: Cleansing must be followed by toning. It helps to remove any leftover grease or make up. Closes the pores and refines the skin. Alcohol must be used for dry skin.
3. Moisturizing: Only time our body retains moisture is just after bath. Pat the skin and apply moisturizer to the skin according to the skin type.
4. Sun Protection: Sun protecting factor(SPF) must be used according to the skin type and the intensity of the sun. Time you can stay out in the sun- multiply the SPF with 10 (e.g. 20 SPF means 200 mins i.e. 3 hrs and 20 mins ) recommended is 15-30 .
Tips for sun protection:
- Avoid sun for long between 11:00am to 4:00pm in summer.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Cool yourself with warm shower (extreme temperature is bad for skin), use uv blocking sun glasses, use an umbrella or a hat.
Exfoliation: Removing dead skin (skin looks dull) must be frequent in older age. Fine grains, apricot, strawberries with milk, oat meal, rice bran with glycerine are the components of a good dietary plan.
Facemask: They are stimulating for skin.
Miccroneedling: A microneedling session can help boost collagen and elastin production to fight lines and wrinkles. These two are are compounds in your skin that add structure and strength, this great procedure may reduce the appearance of acne, scars, dark spots, wrinkles, and large pores.
Fuller’s earth with egg white for oily skin.
Egg yolk with honey is for dry skin.
If you have some keloids or unflattering scars, you may look for an effective keloid cream to help them fade into your skin.
Article by: Dr. Akriti Sharma