Chronic pharyngitis can cause a significant problem in daily life, starting from throat discomfort in the morning to alteration of voice .Chronic inflammatory condition of the pharynx characterized by hypertrophy of mucosa, seromucinous glands, subepithelial lymphoid follicles and even the muscular coat of the pharynx.
Two Types of Chr. Pharyngitis-
- Chronic Catarrhal Pharyngitis
- Chronic Granular Pharyngitis ( Hypertrophic )
Causes ( Etiology ) Of Chronic Pharyngitis-
- Persistent infection in the surrounding structures of pharynx like sinus, tonsils, nose etc including dental sepsis.
- Mouth breathing exposes pharynx to air which has not been filtered ,humidified and adjusted. These are usually result of nasal polyp, rhinitis, turbinate hypertrophy,adenoids,tumors. It can also be due to protruded teeth or habitual mouth breathing.
- Environmental Pollution
- Faulty voice production as seen in certain professions like singers and over use of voice. Can also occur in case of pharyngeal neurosis
- Discomfort or pain in the throat- prominent in the morning
- Foreign body sensation ( something stuck to throat ) sensation- patient has constant desire to clear his throat.
- Tiredness of Voice- voice may lose quality and even crack.
- Cough- irritable throat. Simply opening of mouth can cause retching and gagging
- Congestion of posterior wall of pharynx, engorgement of vessels, pillars may be thickened.
- Increased mucus secretion.
- Posterior pharyngeal wall may be studded with reddish nodules in case of Granular pharyngitis.
- Lateral pharyngeal bands may enlarge and uvula may be elongated and hypertrophied.
- Etiological factor or causative agent must be eradicated for resolution of Pharyngitis. Eg. Stop smoking, abstain from alcohol and cold, irritant food.
- Voice rest is essential
- Speech therapy where faulty voice production is seen
- Warm Saline gargles may be soothing and even relieves pain and irritation.
- Mandl’s paint can be applied to mucosa of pharynx
Surgical – Cautery of Lymphoid granules – Electrocautery or Diathermy.
Actual case of Chronic pharyngitis-
Source- Disease Of ENT, PL Dhingra and lecture notes