What is obesity?
When the excessive amount of fat accumulates in the normal places in the body, its called obesity. Most susceptible structures where fat accumulates are- abdomen, neck, cheeks, buttocks, thighs and arms.
Defined in terms of BMI as
BMI>25-30 – overweight
Calculate BMI at sidebar of this blog or see How to calculate BMI
How severe is this epidemic?
Obesity is a global public health problem, sparing only dramatically poor regions with chronic food scarcity such as sub-Saharan Africa and Haiti. As of 2005, more than 1.6 billion persons ≥15 yr old are overweight or obese (WHO).In the USA, 30% of adults are obese, and an additional 35% of adults are overweight. In children, the prevalence of obesity increased 300% over approximately 40 years.
What are the Cause of Obesity?
Obesity can be caused by various reasons, ranging from over eating to genetic disease.
1. Non- Medical Obesity- Over-eating, less exercise
2. Medical Causes-
Endocrine disorders-hormonal disorders –
- Cushing Syndrome
- Growth hormone deficiency in children
- Alstrom syndrome
- Bardet-Biedl syndrome
- Biemond syndrome
- Carpenter syndrome
- Cohen syndrome
- Deletion 9q34 Early-onset obesity, mental retardation, brachycephaly, synophrys, prognathism, behavior and sleep disturbances Deletion 9q34
- Down syndrome
- Frohlich syndrome
- Leptin or leptin receptor gene deficiency
- Melanocortin 4 receptor gene mutation
- Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Pro-opiomelanocortin deficiency
- Turner syndrome
- Oral contraceptive pills
What are the Complications?
Read here- Complications of Obesity
How to Deal with Obesity? How to lose weight?
|FEATURE||GREEN LIGHT FOOD||YELLOW LIGHT FOODS||RED LIGHT FOODS|
|Quality||Low-calorie, high-fiber, low-fat, nutrient-dense||Nutrient-dense, but higher in calories and fat||High in calories, sugar, and fat|
|Types of food||Fruits, vegetables||Lean meats, dairy, starches, grains||Fatty meats, sugar, fried foods|
|Quantity||Unlimited||Limited||Infrequent or avoided|
5. It is very difficult to achieve weight loss by increasing physical activity alone. Increasing physical activity can decrease risk for cardiovascular disease, improve well-being, and contribute to weight loss. Weight loss diets may not help alone. So combining both strategies are best option.
6. Cut out TV hours to less than 2 hrs.
7. Spend time outdoors.
8. When all these measures don’t help, Weight loss drugs are helpful but aren’t without many sideeffects. Make sure you don’t take them without prescription of a Doctor. Some drugs used are-
9. When there is morbid obesity, Doctors sometimes resolve to Surgical intervention, ie Bariatic Surgery. It is reserved for complicated cases only.
10. Liposuction- more of cosmetic purpose than treatment.