Smoking is number one cause of preventable premature death in the United states. Percentage of US poplation that smokes comes to around 25% with Male more then Female. But The teenage females have a high rate of smoking.
Types of Smoking-
1. Smoke inhaled by the Smoker ( Mainstream or Direct smoke)
2. Passive smoke inhalation ( Sidestream Smoke)
Facts about Smoking-
Cigarette smoke contains about 4000 components and over 40 carcinogens . Carbon monoxide, Arsenic, Formaldehyde, Hydrogen cyanide,Benzene, Tar and Nicotine ( addictive component) are known poisons.
DISEASES RELATED TO CIGARETTE SMOKING:-
1. Lung cancer
2. Oral cavity, pharynx and laryngeal cancer
3. Esophagus and stomach cancer
4. Cervical cancer
5. Pancreatic cancer
6. Kidney, Ureter and Bladder cancer
7. Leukemia ( Benzene)
Cardiovascular Diseases :
1. Major risk for atherosclerosis
2. Coronary artery disease
3. Myocardial Infarction
4. May induce coronary Vasospasm ( Variant angina)
5. Peripheral vascular diseases
6. Aortic aneurysm
7. Buergers disease
1. Chronic Bronchitis
4. Increased pulmonary infection
Health of Women-
1. Early menopause
2. Higher rate of post-menopausal osteoporosis
Effect on Pregnancy and Children-
1. Higher rates of stillbirth and spontaneous abortions
2. IUGR ( Intrauterine Growth Retartdation)
3. SIDS ( Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
4. Higher rates of Otitis Media and Upper Respiratory infections URTIs.
5. Increased incidence of Asthma
There are almost no organ spared by the ill-effect of smoking. Still it is a Lifestyle choice of many, and it is a costly choice. Smoking always gives you a chance to quit.” Its Never to late to quit” as after Smoking cessation for 15 years, it reduces the overall risk of dying almost to that of a anon smoker.
Quiting Smoking : Right Choice, Precious Choice-
There is a clear demarcation between the health of smoker and nonsmoker in one organ system, ie Respiratory System. It’s never the same between smoker and non-smoker.