Earthquake In Haiti: Medical Challenges that Can Erupt
The Medical/Health Problems that can arise in this situation are:
1. Sanitation Problems: It is quite obvious that problems of sanitation may evolve in this situation. As a result of shortage of clean drinking water several water-borne diseases like diarrhea, typhoid, cholera, etc. can spread in that area. Also due to overcrowding conditions, existing contagious diseases may spread quickly.
2. Malnutrition: Many parts of Haiti were already suffering from malnutrition. Now, the shortage of food supply and other diseases like diarrhea can trigger malnutrition.
3. Malaria: There are high risks of outbreak of bacterial and mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue and malaria.
4. Recovery Problems: The disaster will be followed by mental trauma and various injuries among the victims. These injuries can make victims susceptible to more dangerous disease if not treated in time.
5. Impact on administration of other diseases: Major of the health services in Haiti were actively involved in treatment and prevention of helminth and parasite diseases like elephantiasis. Since the medical facilities are limited there may be problems in treatment of these preventable diseases which can be disastrous as well.
What can I do to help ?
Various agencies have taken their step forward for collecting donations from their own region. You can contribute to following organisations:
1. American Red Cross
2. British Red Cross
3. International Medical Corps
4. Medical Teams International
5. Hope for Haiti
6. Partners in Health
7. Doctors without Borders
And now we’re hearing more reports on violence among the native people there, hampering aid- medical and otherwise. Good Donation list you have.