What is Cornea?
What is Corneal blindness?
Loss of Corneal transparency due to scarring or cloudiness , causing marked loss of vision.
Causes of Corneal Blindness:
- Injuries to the eye
- Birth defects
- Vitamin A deficiency – Xerophthalmia
- Malnutrition- Diarrhea ( Dry eyes causing scarring of cornea) should not be underestimated.
- Infections- Keratoconjunctivitis, Infective Corneal Ulcers
- Chemical burns
- Congenital disorders
- Complications of eye surgery.
What is Corneal Transplantation?
Who can Donate eye?
Eyes can be donated only after death by anyone including-
- Cataracts, poor eye sights and age donot prohibit you
- Patient with high Blood pressure.
- Asthma patients
Who Cannot donate eye?
- Hepatitis B,C
- Death due to unknown causes
Procedures to follow by relatives of Deceased, for Corneal donation
- Close the eyelids of the deceased.
- Switch of the fan
- Raise the head of the deceased slightly by placing a pillow underneath
- In the event of death , contact the nearest eye hospital as quickly as possible
- Give the correct address with telephone number to enable the eye-bank team to locate the place easily
- If the Death Certificate from Doctor is available keep it ready.
- Eye donation can be done only with the written consent of the Next of Kin in the presence of two witness
FACTS ABOUT EYE DONATION
- Eyes can be donated only after death.
- Eyes must be removed within 4-6 hrs after death
- The eye bank team will remove the eyes from the deceased in the hospital.
- Eye removal does not delay the funeral. It takes only 15-20 minutes
- A small quantity of blood will be drawn to rule out communicable disease
- Eye Retrieval does not cause disfigurement
- Identities of both the Donors and Recipients s will be kept confidential.
Prevalence of Corneal Blindness:
According to the Nepal Blindness Survey, 1981, Corneal trauma and Ulceration are leading cause of Unilateral vision loss after Cataract, accounting for 7.9% of all blind eyes.
Corneal Ulcer is the leading cause of Corneal blindness in Nepal.
Credit and Contact : Leaflet desined by
BP Koirala Lions Centre for Ophthalmic Studies,
TUTH, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu.
Phone no- 4720668, 4720694,4720695
Eye Bank Technician- 9841447215