Entering the Post-graduation courses after MBBS in Nepal has become a tough exit for the Medical Students. Due to limited number of PG ( MD, MS, M. Sc) seats in Clinical Medicine and Basic Science in comparison to rapidly growing MBBS graduates in Nepal, the problem has become imminent now.
Here is the updated 2016 list:
1. Kathmandu University (KU) :
- Only Donation or Payment Scheme is available. No Scholarships yet.
- PG program via KU is carried out in the affiliated colleges, in and around the country.
- Cost as set by governing body is 22-25 lakh Nepali currency.
- Total number of seats have been inconsistent because of NMC.
- 1 seat is reserved for Promoter’s son/daughter in each medical college ( Controversial practice)
- Eligibility: 1 YEAR experience needed after MBBS from NMC recognized Medical college.
2. Ministry of Education (MOE):
- Specially scholarship quota for abroads.
- Date: End of March
3. Institute of Medicine (IOM) :
- Includes Full Scholarships seats in all available subjects.
- Payment seats have been collapsed. Loksewa seat are reserved in each session.
- A 5 year bond after PG has been applied.
- Exam: End of March or 1st week of April .
4. PG in INDIA
Indian PG is one of the TOUGHEST entrance examinations in ASIA. But INDIA has provided foreign seats. Nepalese have to compete for the foreign seat and probability is better this way.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), India Date: May and November
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh,India Date: May and November
- Pakistan: Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi e.g In King Edward Medical University (KEMU) you need to pass Pakistan license exam
- College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP) Date: May and
6. B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS), Dharan:
- Another area where you can get your PG
- Controversially has increased Loksewa seats against Open category.
- Foreign quota has been increased.
- Cost: One of the expensive ones
- Eligibility: 1 year experience after MBBS
8. Nepal Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS), Bir hospital , Priority is given to Lok Sewa candidates, followed by MOE then general. Open category student rarely stand a chance to get a good seat in NAMS. However it as brought down eligibility criteria to 1 year experience. One of the most unjust exams to appear for Open category deserving students. Date: end of July
9. United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) :
USMLE is being increasingly attempted by MBBS doctors and now PG residents and by PG doctors. Exam- Any time of year except 1st 15 days of January . It is considered the best option as the Degree is respected highly around the globe and with awesome salary becomes the zenith for ambitious students. Details can be found here http://www.usmle.org/
10. Australian Medical Council (AMC), Australia: It is said that Australia is congested and getting into PG is difficult now.Details about http://www.amc.org.au/
11. UK: PLAB 1,2 ,3 and still have to be lucky to get into PG. It is known to be very difficult one.
13. Bangladesh: Passing PG from Bangladesh has been known to be very tough. But more students are flocking into Bangladesh as PG seat are becoming virtual in Nepal, India.
14. Republic of the Philippines : Recent trend has been to form a group and fly to Philippines for PG. An easier destination but lower in choice. But recently Kathmandu University has denied to provide any faculty quota for specialists passing from Philippines. Issue is, many PG course are run in private and non-university hospitals with/without Thesis.
15. Denmark: Not well explored area. But have to get language course first.
16. Germany: PG degree from Germany is well-reputed and free as well. Language is required. Here is one experience of PG student.
17. China : A good option for Nepali students. Specially for students who studied MBBS in China as they are adapted to the language and condition. China is rising up as a good destination because it provides good stipend and many doctors passing out from China have made remarkable status in Nepal.
18. Japan : Exam May-June. Japan provides scholarship for PG, PhD 5 years course. Stipends are offered to Nepali students. Exam is taken by the Japanese embassy and is one of the fairest competition.
19. Ukraine/ Other European countries
20. Canada – Canadian Medical Licensing Examination.
Sources: Researched article from internet, RPG, PG forum India, KU and TU websites.