When it comes to healthy skin, it seems like there’s always some new product, some new piece of information, or some new procedure “guaranteed” to give us the glowing, lustrous skin we’re after. But, as most of us know, achieving clear, healthy, younger-looking skin isn’t as easy as advertisers would lead us to believe.
In fact, maintaining a perfect complexion can seem like an impossible task and, in our quest for perfect skin, we continue to purchase new products and try out the latest skincare techniques. And, in the end, we’re often left frustrated, exhausted and with no improvements to the appearance of our skin.
However, taking care of your skin doesn’t have to be so difficult. In fact, it could be as simple as knowing the proper massage technique!
Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of massage, including info on the products and techniques that will give your skin that vibrant, youthful glow.
The Benefits of Massage
Massage can provide benefits to a number of organs and body systems, and the skin is no exception. When used regularly, massage can enhance the health and appearance of skin by promoting healthy circulation and skin cell turnover. What’s more, massage can improve the skin in all areas of the body, unlike products and procedures that are designed to enhance facial skin, only.
More advantages include the following:
- By promoting circulation, massage can help the skin receive the nutrients it needs to stay healthy, elastic and fresh looking.
- When a massage includes stimulation of the lymphatic system, the body can eliminate toxins and waste more effectively; in turn, the skin looks brighter, clearer and younger.
- Facial massage stimulates the skin’s production of healthy oils, which can reduce the signs of aging, and lend to a fresh, youthful appearance.
- Massage, whether facial or full-body, relieves tension and stress, which can have decidedly positive effects on the skin and overall appearance.
Products and Techniques
When you visit a massage therapist, you can typically choose between a number of styles and techniques, each with its own set of benefits. However, giving yourself a massage can be relatively simple. Use the following massage tips to promote healthy circulation, relaxation and better skin and enhanced overall health:
- Choose the right products. Use body massage oil for the body; for the face, use oils that won’t irritate the skin or clog pores. Oils made from all-natural ingredients are best, as they reduce the risk of complications like irritation, drying, etc.
- Use a light touch. The skin of the face is especially delicate, so be sure to use a gentle touch. Circular motions are the best for promoting healthy blood flow, while rubbing in an upward direction may help prevent drooping and sagging.
- To help rid the skin of impurities, pay special attention to the lymph nodes in the throat, just below the jaw.
- For the ultimate in relaxation, use two fingers to massage the temples and cheeks. Begin at the cheekbones, and sweep upward to the temples.
- To reduce wrinkles between the eyes, lightly pinch the skin between the brows, lifting it up and away from the bone.
- For crow’s feet, gently stretch the skin at the corners of the eyes, pulling outward and upward in a half-circular motion.
Though seemingly elusive, effective skincare doesn’t have to be frustrating. In fact, the answer might literally be at our fingertips. And with the massage tips provided here, you can achieve clear, bright, younger-looking skin in just minutes a day.
Article By Jennifer Smith